The 346-unit public housing complex opened in 1972, atop land of a former lead smelter dating back to 1906. Decades prior, the former Anaconda Lead Products site made lead, while the International Lead Refining Company was a metal refining facility, which housed lead storage areas and had a lead refinery. The area is part of the U.S.S. Lead Superfund site. The U.S.S. Lead property is just south of where the housing complex was later built.